Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I did a douchey thing...

Ughhhhh! I threw another student under the bus big time this morning and it is really bothering me!!

You know when you are part of a team but you are really the only one working, well that's been going on for a while on a planning committee I'm on with another student.  I've done the majority of the work for the past 2 semesters and the other student is struggling with rotations and I know that so I've tried to be patient. I asked him last week if he had taken care of his tasks because we have deadlines coming up and he said he hadn't yet but assured me that he would take care of it and let me know if he needed help.  Will in the past week I'd've gotten 5 or 6 emails from our senior level asking us where we are and reprimanding us for not having these things done.

This morning I woke up to an email from our upper level saying that basically we had today to get it done or he was taking over and we were going to be in pretty big trouble.  I have no idea why I read my emails sitting in my bed but I was so annoyed at the barrage of emails that I emailed the upper level back and told him that the other student was supposed to be taking care of it but I'd make sure it was done.

I immediately felt like a complete and total ass.  It was made worse when the upper level sent back an email basically saying way to throw your bud under the bus.

So, I sent the other student an email explaining what I'd done and apologizing for it.  I also took care of his part of the project.

Anywho, there's nothing else really that I can do and that is totally not how I normally behave so I'm disappointed in myself.

Lessons learned -
1. Don't read emails in bed
2. Respond to emails with caution
3. Don't be a douche

3 comments:

  1. That is why I hate group projects. Don't beat yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that - group projects are the worst. But I think it's ok that you replied that way - and I think accountability is important. You do have to stand up for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like you have made your apologies, so good for you.

    ReplyDelete